Abubakar Shekau, the leader of the Nigerian jihadist group Boko Haram, has reacted to the election of Donald Trump as the United States president.
In an audio message published on the group’s YouTube page on Sunday night, November 13, Shekau said they will “not be fooled by people like Donald Trump or anyone in the coalition who is fighting our brothers in Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan or anywhere else.”
He said in Hausa language: “We are done with Obama, now we’re going to start with Trump. We remain steadfast by our faith and we will not stop. For us, the war has just begun.”
Shekau also claimed responsibility for the attack that led to the recent killing of Lieutenant-Colonel Muhammad Abu Ali.
“We are responsible for these recent attacks. We did it and will do more,” Shekau said in the audio message.
NAIJ.com recalls that Boko Haram pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group in March 2015.
Although, the IS high command said in August that Shekau had been replaced as leader by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, the 22-year-old son of Boko Haram’s founder Mohammed Yusuf, he (Shekau) still claims he is in charge.
Exactly a month ago, the jihadist group released 21 out of the over 200 kidnapped school girls from Chibok after negotiations with the Nigerian government.
Over 20,000 people have died and 2.6 million displaced since 2009 when Abubakar Shekau took over as the head of Boko Haram.